These easy chicken meatballs for dogs have just 5 ingredients and make a great dinner or snack. They are good for sneaking in a pill too!
We have made these meatballs flourless and used rolled oats as a binder. The best thing about making your own dog treats is that you know exactly what goes into them.
Is Spinach Bad for Dogs?
Spinach is full of vitamins and fiber and is a great green vegetable to give your dog. A few tablespoons of spinach to the dog food gives it a nutritional boost.
However, spinach has oxalates that block the absorption of calcium and this might be a problem for dogs with kidney problems. With a healthy dog, it would have to eat it's body weight to encounter this issue. But with anything, always consult your veterinarian.
If you don't want to give your dog spinach, swap it with cooked kale.
Always check with your veterinarian before introducing any new foods into your dog’s diet.
How to make chicken meatballs for dogs
When making meatballs for dogs resist the urge to season them, as you would your own. Dogs should not eat salt or pepper.
All you need to make these homemade chicken treats is ground chicken, spinach, egg and rolled oats. We have added fresh parsley for the dog's breath and digestion. The spinach is frozen but you could cook up a batch of fresh spinach instead.
Made in one large bowl and then baked this does not take long to make.
Storage and Freezing
When the chicken meatballs have cooled, store them in an airtight container and keep them in the refrigerator. They should last up to 4 days.
If you have leftovers (rarely a thing in our house) the meatballs can be frozen. Put them in a ziplocked bag and they will store in the freezer for 3 months. Defrost them in the refrigerator until thawed though.
More Chicken Recipes for Dogs
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Chicken Spinach Meatballs for Dogs
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 cup frozen spinach defrosted
- 1 medium egg beaten
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons parsley, fresh chopped
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F degrees and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Place the chicken, spinach, egg and parsley in a large mixing bowl. Mix the ingredients well.
- Add the rolled oats to bind the mixture.
- Either using a cookie scoop or your hands, form the mixture into balls.
- Place the meatballs on the baking tray and cook for 20 -25 minutes until cooked through. The cooking time will vary depending upon the size of the chicken balls.