These baked pineapple dog treats are made with fresh pineapple and coconut flour for a healthy homemade gluten-free treat.
Since we live in the tropics, it's only right I bake my dogs a healthy tropical treat!
Can Dogs Eat Pineapple?
Dogs can eat fresh pineapple but just as with humans, the sugar content means that if your dog is diabetic they might want to avoid it.
Fresh pineapple is a good fruit for your dog as the high water content of the fruit helps with hydration. Pineapple is high with vitamins C, B6 and antioxidants too. Pineapples also contain Bromelain, an enzyme that helps a dog’s digestive system break down proteins more effectively and efficiently.
Although dogs can eat canned pineapple it should be unsweetened. It's always better to use fresh fruit rather than canned.
Remember to go slowly when introducing new foods. And we recommend checking with your veterinarian first if your dog has any digestive issues or other health concerns.
Dog Treat Ingredients
Just a handful of ingredients are used to make these homemade treats. We mixed the flours to make these as the first batch made with only coconut flour was too dry.
- Pineapple - fresh pineapple is pureed.
- Coconut Oil - A great oil for dogs with it's antiviral and antibacterial properties.
- Coconut Flour - Great for fiber and good fats. Different brands of coconut flour vary so you may need to adjust the amount for a firm dough.
- Rice Flour - This could be replaced with ground flaxseed or another dog friendly flour.
How to make baked pineapple dog treats
We make the dough for these baked dog treats in a bowl but you could try blending the ingredients in a food processor and adjust the flour amounts accordingly.
As with most of our treats we used a dog bone cookie cutter. It's more for us than the dogs but looks cute. It also ensures even portions if you are keeping a strict count of treats given.
Cute Cookie Cutters For These Treats
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 1 week or in the freezer for 1 month.
More baked dog treat recipes
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Baked Pineapple Dog Treats
- 1 cup pineapple
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ½ cup rice flour
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Place the pineapple in a blender and puree.
- Add pureed pineapple, egg, and coconut oil to a medium mixing bowl. Mix with a whisk until smooth.
- Add the coconut flour and rice flour and mix until you have a firm but pliable dough.
- Roll out the dough in between two layers of parchment paper to about ¼" thick. Cut out the shapes with cookie cutters, and place the baking trays.
- Bake for 20 minutes, flip the treats over so they can brown evenly. Bake for another 20 minutes.
- Allow to cool before giving out a treat.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator.