Treat your dogs with this salmon dog food recipe. Fresh salmon fillets are cooked and added to rice, spinach, peas with homemade pumpkin puree.
Can Dogs Eat Salmon?
Salmon is a great food for dogs. It's great for a shiny coat with it's high content of omega-3 fatty acids and is a great protein source. Salmon helps with inflammation and can help with skin irritiations.
The salmon must be cooked and ensure that you remove any fish bones before serving it. Boneless salmon fillets are a great option. Raw salmon should not be given to dogs.
The skin can be high in fats so keep it as a special treat.
How to Cook Salmon for Dogs
Salmon can be poached, grilled, baked, roasted or steamed for your homemade dog food. For this recipes I roasted the salmon as I wanted to ensure that it was thoroughly cooked through.
There are no seasonings added to the salmon as you are cooking for your dog, not yourself!
Salmon Dog Food Recipe Ingredients
For this homemade dog food recipe I used:
- Salmon Fillet
- Brown Rice
- Frozen Peas
- Homemade Pumpkin Puree
- Frozen Spinach
Canned salmon can be used in place of fresh salmon in this recipe. Ensure that the tinned salmon is in water, not oil.
More Homemade Dog Food Recipes
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Salmon Dog Food Recipe with Spinach & Pumpkin
- 3 lb salmon
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 cup frozen peas
- ½ cup pumpkin puree
- 2 cups Spinach Frozen & defrosted
- Place the salmon on a parchment lined baking tray and bake for 20-25 minutes at 180C/375F degrees.
- Whilst the salmon is roasting cook the brown rice. Place the brown rice and 2 cups water in a small sauce and bring to the boil. Cover, turn the heat to low and simmer for 25 minutes until tender.
- Add the frozen peas to the brown rice half way through cooking. Drain once the rice and peas are cooked.
- Remove the cooked salmon from the oven and with a fork, flake the salmon, removing any bones.
- In a large bowl, add the salmon, rice, peas, salmon and pumpkin puree. Mix well and dinner is ready!