This homemade salmon broccoli dog food recipe is grain free and a delicious treat for your dog. Salmon cooked in coconut oil is served with broccoli, carrots and a sliced boiled egg.
A recipe for one, this salmon broccoli dog food recipe makes a great treat. It's even something you could cook for yourself (without any seasoning) then set aside a portion for your dog.
SHOULD DOGS EAT SALMON?
Salmon makes a great weekly treat for your dog as it is a good source of protein. High in omega-3 fatty acids it is excellent for your dog's coat.
Ensure that the salmon is thoroughly cooked through and any bones are removed. I probably take more care with the salmon I cook for the dogs than my husband! But that's just between us!
BROCCOLI FOR DOGS
Broccoli is a great vegetable for dogs. As well as being a low carb vegetable so is suitable for any dog with diabetes, it is high in fiber and vitamins K and C. There are a few studies that show the sulforaphane found in broccoli may help destroy cancer cells or damaged cells in dogs.
Broccoli can be served raw or cooked. We steam the broccoli to keep more of the nutrients but you could lightly boil it. Ensure that you chop the broccoli into small florets that your dog can digest easily.
GRAIN FREE INGREDIENTS
Just 4 ingredients and coconut oil are used in this grain free dog food recipe. We added a hard boiled egg to the dish for the extra protein content. My dogs go crazy for boiled eggs too, so it's an extra treat for them.
Remember to go slowly when introducing new foods. And we recommend checking with your veterinarian first if your dog has any digestive issues or other health concerns.
HOW TO MAKE SALMON BROCCOLI DOG FOOD RECIPE
This is an easy recipe but all the ingredients are cooked separately, then served together. To make in any order:
- Hard boil the egg.
- Steam or boil the broccoli.
- Dice and cook the carrot.
- Cook the salmon in the coconut oil.
You could cook all the ingredients at the same time, ready to serve or prepare the vegetables ahead and then reheat them when you cook the salmon.
The carrot could be grated and served raw or lightly cooked in the coconut oil.
Frequently Asked Questions
This can be made ahead and stored in the refrigerator in a sealed container before serving. It's best served on the day it is made.
Swap the broccoli with either kale, spinach or zucchini.
Olive oil is another healthy and safe oil to cook the salmon for dogs.
MORE HOMEMADE SALMON RECIPES FOR DOGS
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Salmon Broccoli Dog Food
- 1 fillet salmon
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- ½ cup broccoli florets
- 1 medium carrot peeled and sliced or diced
- 1 large hard boiled egg
- Steam or boil the broccoli for 8-10 minutes until soft.
- Boil the carrots for 10 minutes until soft.
- In a medium pan or skillet, heat the coconut oil on a medium heat and cook the salmon skin side down for 5 minutes, then turn over and cook for a further 4 minutes.
- Remove the salmon from the pan and with a fork, remove the skin and flake the salmon, removing any bones. The skin can be served with the dish or set aside for a treat.
- Peel the hardboiled eggs and slice.
- Assemble the cooked ingredients on a dish and top with the sliced egg.
- Serve and expect a waggy tail of delight!
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator.