This easy homemade lamb dog food is a one pot meal that your dog will love. A stew is made with ground lamb, brown rice and dog friendly vegetables with a dash of turmeric.
When making a stew it might be tempting to season it, as you would your own, but homemade dog food does not need it. Nor are many seasonings suitable for dogs. We add turmeric to this recipe for it's health benefits.
Lamb Dog Food Benefits
As well as being a great source of protein for dogs, lamb can help if your dog has allergies or a sensitive stomach. Lamb is full of omega fatty acids that keep your dogs coats looking shiny and healthy too.
Lamb has a rich supply of high quality protein and is an especially good source of zinc and iron. It is also rich in B vitamins and is one of the best sources of the amino acid carnitine
Is Lamb Easy for Dogs to Digest?
If you are introducing lamb to your dog, they should find it easy to digest as it can be a gentler protein source than chicken or beef.
Always check with your veterinarian before introducing any new foods into your dog’s diet.
Homemade Lamb Dog Food Ingredients
This is a simple dog food recipe with just a few ingredients.
- Ground Lamb - Either fresh or frozen (defrosted)
- Brown Rice - white rice has a higher glycemic index than brown rice, causing blood sugars to rise. Long grain brown rice is full of B vitamins, minerals such as zinc and magnesium.
- Carrots - A good source of vitamins, C, K, potassium and fiber.
- Green Beans - a dog safe vegetable full of vitamin A, B6, K, and C.
- Turmeric - added for it's anti-inflammatory properties.
- Coconut Oil - A dog friendly cooking oil
How to make lamb & rice dog food
- Peel and chop the carrots. They could be grated too.
- Remove the tops and ends of the green beans, then chop into small pieces.
- In a large pan, heat the coconut oil and cook the ground lamb.
- Add the rice, vegetables and water. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer.
Frequently Asked Questions
Once cooled, store this lamb dog food in sealed containers in the refrigerator. It should last up to 4 to 5 days.
Freeze any leftovers or if you are making food ahead in air tight containers. This can be stored in your freezer for up to two months.
If you can't find fresh vegetables, they can be replaced with frozen carrots and green beans. Other frozen vegetables such as cauliflower or peas can be used too.
More homemade dog food recipes
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Homemade Lamb & Rice Dinner for Dogs
- 1 lb ground lamb
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 cup brown rice
- 2 large carrots
- 1 cup green beans
- 2 cups water more may be required
- Peel and chop the carrots (they could also be grated).
- Trim the green beans and chop into pieces.
- Heat the coconut oil in a large saucepan on a medium heat
- Add the ground lamb and cook for 10 -15 minutes until the meat is cooked through.
- Add the brown rice, carrots, turmeric and green beans to the pot.
- Pour water into the pot covering the meat and vegetables by an inch.
- Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Allow to cool before serving.