This lamb meatloaf recipe for dogs is an easy one bowl recipe that your dogs will love. Serve sliced with a side of cooked dog friendly vegetables for a main meal.
Lamb is full of omega fatty acids that keep your dogs coats looking shiny and healthy.
Although this is a large dog meatloaf recipe, it can be made ahead, sliced and frozen for future dinners.
Is Lamb OK for dogs?
Lamb is a great meat for dogs as it's a great source of protein and full of vitamins B12 and B3, essential amino acids and healthy fats for your dog.
Lamb is a red meat and also a great source of iron for your dog.
Meat Loaf Ingredients
For this lamb loaf for dogs we have used the following ingredients:
- Ground lamb
- Pumpkin puree - we use homemade
- Carrot - grated
- Oats - to help bind. We used rolled oats to for a low GI rate.
- Flaxseed - for fiber and to help bind
- Parsley - a fresh herbs for dogs and to aid digestion.
- Egg - another source of protein
Always check with your veterinarian before introducing any new foods into your dog’s diet.
How to make lamb meatloaf recipe for dogs
This is an easy meatloaf for dogs that you could play with the ingredients for your own recipe. Change the vegetables used or swap the binding ingredients for a lower carb or gluten free dog meatloaf recipe.
For the tin, we had some fun and used a doggie bone silicone cake mold but this lamb meatloaf could be baked in a 2lb bread loaf tin. It's more for us than the dogs! They just care that it tastes good than how it looks!
Making this doggie meatloaf recipe is as easy as making a human meatloaf. Just mix all the ingredients in one bowl, spoon into a tin and bake. It's just that easy and you might be tempted to have a slice yourself!
Keep this lamb meatloaf in the refrigerator in a sealed container and it should last up to 4 days. If you have a smaller dog (this fed my 4 happily over a couple of days) this dog meatloaf can be frozen.
To freeze, slice the meatloaf and place in zip lock bags for ease of defrosting. The slices will last up to 3 months in the freezer. To defrost place the slices in the refrigerator until thawed through. Reheat gently on either the stove in skillet or an oven for 5-10 minutes until warm throughout.
This lamb meatloaf mixture could be made in a muffin tin for smaller mini muffins
Add grated zucchini or chopped spinach for extra vegetables to the mixture.
If the meatloaf looks too oily when cooked, damp the excess oil with a kitchen towel. Too much fat can cause digestive issues, and lead to pancreatitis.
More Meatloaf for Dog Recipes
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Lamb Meatloaf for Dogs
- 1 ½ lb ground lamb
- ½ cup pumpkin puree homemade if possible
- 1 medium carrot peeled and grated
- ½ cup oats (rolled oatmeal)
- ½ cup flaxseed meal
- ¼ cup parsley chopped
- 1 large egg
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F degrees and lightly grease and line a 2lb loaf tin with parchment paper. Or use a fun novelty dog bone tin as we did!
- Place all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl and mix thoroughly to incorporate well.
- Spoon the meatloaf mixture into the tin and spread evenly and firmly.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until the top of the meatloaf is firm.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool before slicing and serving