Your dog will love this homemade dog food with chicken and sweet potatoes. Served with brown rice and sliced apple it's a great dinner.
We serve this chicken and sweet potato recipe with the ingredients aside each other but you could mix the cooked ingredients together.
IS SWEET POTATO GOOD FOR DOGS?
Sweet potatoes are higher in fiber than white potatoes and are a great source of vitamin A and potassium for dogs.
Serve the sweet potato cooked not raw to your dogs as raw potatoes is not digested as easily and could cause an intestinal blockage.
Remember to go slowly when introducing new foods. And we recommend checking with your veterinarian first if your dog has any digestive issues or other health concerns.
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE CHICKEN AND SWEET POTATO DOG FOOD
Just 5 ingredients are used to make this homemade dog food:
- Chicken - skinless chicken breasts are poached and shredded
- Sweet potato - We boil the sweet potatoes because they have a lower glycemic index than roasted sweet potatoes. This means that your dog's blood sugar levels won't spike. We serve the sweet potato mashed but you could serve it as chopped.
- Brown rice - A source of fiber. If you want a grain free meal for your dog, omit the rice and replace it with kale or zucchini.
- Apples - Peeled and served raw. Always remove the seeds and core.
- Turmeric - This is added to the brown rice when cooking. Turmeric is great for dogs for it's anti-inflammatory properties.
This recipe is for 2 large servings but if you have any leftovers or want to make this ahead, keep the chicken dinner in the refrigerator in a sealed container. It should last up to 3 days.
MORE HOMEMADE CHICKEN DOG FOOD RECIPES
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Homemade Chicken & Sweet Potato Dog Food
- 2 chicken breasts skinless and boneless
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ cup brown rice
- 1 medium sweet potato
- ½ cup sliced apple peeled, pips and core removed
- We cook the chicken, rice and sweet potato all at the same time.
- Add the rice and turmeric to a medium saucepan and cover with water. Bring to the boil, place the lid on the pan and simmer for 20 minutes until cooked.
- Drain and set aside.
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, add the chicken breasts and cover with water. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to medium. Let simmer until chicken is cooked through, 10 minutes.
- Drain and let sit for 10 minutes. Using a fork, shred the cooked chicken.
- Peel and chop the sweet potato. Place in a medium saucepan, cover with water and bring to the boil. Cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes until cooked through.
- Drain and with a fork or potato masher, mash the sweet potatoes.
- Serve all the cooked ingredients together and top with the apple slices. Add a sprig of parsley if you have it to hand.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator.