Give your dog a tasty treat with these homemade chicken liver meatballs. A mixture of liver and vegetables are baked with coconut flour for a gluten free dog treat.
Given as treats or added to part of your dogs dinner, these will enjoyed by your dog. They also make a cheap and nutritional dog treat.
CHICKEN LIVER BENEFITS FOR DOGS
Chicken livers are a good source of vitamins, minerals and protein for dogs. It's also a great source of omega-3. It does have a high fat content so should be served in moderation.
We find our chicken livers in the freezer section of stores sold in tubs. If you have a butcher they should be able to provide you with fresh livers.
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN LIVER MEATBALLS
Before you make the meatballs, the chicken liver must be cooked first. They are then blended with the other ingredients and baked.
Unlike chicken meatballs for humans, these chicken meatballs are not seasoned. Salt and pepper are not suitable for dogs digestion.
- Chicken livers - If you purchase frozen livers, ensure that they are completely defrosted before cooking.
- Spinach - Kale could be used instead.
- Parsley - Fresh parsley is great for dogs nutrition.
- Coconut flour - This flour is a great source of fiber and is gluten free too.
- Nutritional Yeast - A small amount of nutritional yeast is a great source of B vitamins and protein for dogs.
HOW TO FREEZE CHICKEN LIVER MEATBALLS
These chicken meatballs dog treats freeze very well. Store them in an air tight container or zip lock bag and they will last for up to 4 months in the freezer.
Defrost them in the fridge and ensure that they are thoroughly defrosted. Reheat them in the oven for
STORING THE MEATBALLS
Keep the meatballs in an air tight container, ready for snacks and dinner. They should last 4 to 5 days in the fridge.
The coconut flour can be swapped with other flours but the quantity may need to be increased.
If your dog is new to chicken liver, feed them a small bit at a time for them to get them used to it.
MORE CHICKEN LIVER DOG RECIPES
BEEF LIVER DOG TREATS
If you want to make a dog treat with beef liver, try these recipes.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Chicken Liver Meatballs for Dogs
- 1 lb chicken livers
- 1 cup spinach defrosted
- ¼ cup parsley fresh
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup coconut flour
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Rinse the chicken livers and pat them dry.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan or skillet on a medium heat and add the chicken livers. Cook until they are completely brown.
- Place the cooked chicken livers in a food processor and add the egg, spinach, parsley and nutritional yeast. Blitz until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into a large bowl and add the coconut flour. Mix until you have a firm mixture.
- Use a medium cookie scoop to make balls or use your hands.
- Place the meatballs on a parchment paper lined baking tray and bake at 180C/350F degrees for 20 minutes until firm and golden.