These mini pumpkin pies for dogs make a great treat for Thanksgiving. This pumpkin pie treat is made with a dog friendly pie crust and uses homemade pumpkin puree for the filling. Topped with yogurt they will not last long!
Enjoy the holidays with your dogs with their own pumpkin treat. This is an easy recipe that you could also make with the children too. However and whoever makes it, your dog will love this homemade treat.
Can dogs eat pumpkin pie?
Your homemade or store bought pumpkin pie is not a good choice for your dog as it may contain ingredients that are not suitable for them. The pastry may contain sugar or baking powder, and the filling may also contain sugar and unsuitable spices.
Canned pumpkin pie filling is not suitable for dogs as it may contain nutmeg which is toxic to dogs. Plain pumpkin puree is a better option and as ever, you can't beat homemade!
How to make a dog pumpkin pie
We made mini pumpkin pies for dogs because they were easier to give as a dog treat rather than a slice of pie. A silicone mini muffin tin was used with the pies being easier to pop out when cool.
For the pastry we used rice flour but any other dog suitable flour could be used. You may need to adjust the amount of apple sauce added for another flour.
The filling uses our homemade pumpkin puree which is simply cooked plain pumpkin. We added cinnamon spice to the filling as it is a safe spice for dogs.
How to store
It's best to store these homemade dog pumpkin pies in a sealed container in the fridge. They should last up to 5 days.
Can you freeze these pumpkin pie treats?
If you make a large batch these can be frozen for later use. Freeze them in an airtight zip lock bag with a layer of parchment paper between each pumpkin pie to stop sticking. They will freeze for up to 3 months.
Defrost the mini pies in the fridge.
More pumpkin recipes for dogs
Pumpkin Peanut Butter Dog Treats
If you want to use this recipe to make a large pie, use an 8 inch pie dish and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Mini Pumpkin Pies for Dogs
- ¾ cup rice flour
- 1 medium egg
- 2 tablespoons apple sauce
- ¾ cup pumpkin puree
- 1 medium egg
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ cup Greek natural yogurt
Make the Pastry
- Preheat the oven to 190C/375F degrees.
- Add the ingredients in a food processor and blend into a dough. If the mixture is too sticky add more flour. If too dry, add water.
- Remove the dough and roll out in between two layers of parchment paper.
- Cut out circles large enough to cover the mini muffin tin holes. We used a tumbler.
- Place the pastry into the mini muffin tin.
- Bake for 6-8 minutes until slightly golden. Remove from the oven for the filling.
Make the filling
- Lower the oven temperature to 175C/350F degrees.
- In a medium bowl, place the pumpkin puree, egg and cinnamon. Whisk until smooth.
- Spoon into the mini pastry cases and bake the pies for 40 minutes until firm.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool before removing them from the muffin tin.
- Serve with a spoonful of Greek yoghurt on top.
Leave a Reply