An easy chicken liver dog food recipe with carrots, sweet potato and brown rice will be enjoyed by your dog. A one pot dish that takes 20 minutes to cook.
Is chicken liver good for dogs?
Cooked chicken liver is a great source of vitamin A for dogs, along with a high protein content. Vitamin A is great for the skin, coat, liver, kidney and nervous system. The fat content of chicken liver is 30% higher than beef liver which can help if your dog is looking to put on weight
Chicken liver should not be a daily source of food and enjoyed in small portions as to avoid an overdose of Vitamin A.
Chicken livers are often in the freeze section in the supermarket and are fairly cheap too. If you are lucky, there may be containers of chicken livers in the fresh meat section too.
How to cook chicken liver for dogs
Always wash the chicken livers in water before cooking. They are often packed in containers with blood, and cleaning them helps remove any debris.
For this chicken liver dog food recipe, I lightly fry the chicken liver in coconut oil before adding water and cooking them thoroughly. Chicken livers can be baked and dehydrated for liver snacks too.
Swap the carrots and sweet potato with other vegetables such as kale, broccoli or spinach. The sweet potato in the photo is a white potato in case you thought I was using a regular potato!
Store the stew in a sealed container in the fridge. It should last up to 3 days.
More homemade dog food recipes
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Chicken Liver Vegetable Stew
- 20 oz chicken livers
- 2 carrots peeled and chopped into small pieces
- 2 sweet potatoes peeled and chopped into small pieces
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups brown rice cooked
- Wash the chicken livers in water to remove the debris.
- Heat the coconut oil in a medium sauce on a medium heat and lightly sear the livers.
- Pour in one cup of the water and bring to the boil. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes until cooked through.
- Add the chopped carrots and sweet potatoes and the remaining water and cook for 15 minutes until the vegetable are slightly soft.
- Stir in the cooked rice and allow to cool to warm before serving.