This easy ground turkey dog food recipe mixes ground turkey, chicken giblets, brown rice, carrots and kale for a homemade high protein dog food.
Chicken giblets have been added to this turkey dog food recipe as they are full of nutrients and high in protein. They can be omitted if you don't have them. Like the ground turkey, they must be cooked well.
Make this for a dog thanksgiving dinner if you want your dog to enjoy a holiday dinner too!
Can Dogs Eat Ground Turkey?
If you want your dogs to enjoy turkey, cooked ground turkey is a great option. It is higher in protein than chicken and lower in fat. When preparing ground turkey for your dogs, it must be cooked plain. You may enjoy seasoned turkey with onions, but that's not an option for dog food.
Turkey bones are not advisable. They can splinter and be damaging to your dog. Turkey skin is another part that should not be fed to dogs as it is very high in fat.
Remember to go slowly when introducing new foods. And we recommend checking with your veterinarian first if your dog has any digestive issues or other health concerns.
How to make ground turkey dog food recipe
You could cook all of these ingredients in one pot but this recipe cooks the meat and rice separately. The vegetables are added to the cooked meat to cook.
The steps for this ground turkey and vegetable recipe are
- Cook the brown rice in a saucepan
- In a large saucepan, cook the ground turkey.
- Add chicken giblets.
- In go the shredded carrots
- Chopped kale is added (spinach could be substituted)
- Cook the vegetables
- Mix in the cooked rice.
- Serve to wagging tails.
I cooked this recipe with my 4 dogs in mind so it's a large portion. For a smaller portion reduce the recipe in half.
Cook the rice as you are cooking the turkey and vegetables so everything is ready at the same time.
The coconut oil can be substituted with olive oil
Sweet potatoes can be used in place of carrots.
More homemade dog food recipes
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Ground Turkey Vegetable Dinner
- 1 cup brown rice
- 2 lbs ground turkey
- 2 cups chicken giblets
- 2 carrots grated
- 3 cups kale cut
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- After washing the rice, boil with 3 cups of hot water. Drain and set aside to cool.
- Heat the coconut oil in a large saucepan and add the ground turkey. Cook on a medium heat for 3-5 minutes until it is brown.
- Add the chicken giblets and cook for another 5-8 minutes until cooked through. Stir occasionally to make sure even cooking.
- Add the grated carrot and cut kale and stir into the cooked meat. Cover with a sauce pan lid and cook for 10 minutes until the vegetables are cooked through.
- Stir in the cooked brown rice and allow the mixture to cook for serving temperature.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator.