Your dog will love a mini meatloaf made with ground chicken and spinach as a snack or treat. Ground flaxseed is used to bind these making them gluten-free and keto too.
Baked in a mini muffin tin, this mini dog meatloaf recipe could also be formed into meatballs.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
IS FLAXSEED SAFE FOR DOGS?
Flaxseed is a great ingredient for dogs as it helps their coat and skin. It's high in fiber, omega 6, omega 3 and low in carbs as well as being gluten-free.
Make sure that the flaxseeds are ground before giving them to your dog. You can purchase ready ground flaxseed meal or run the raw seeds in a coffee grinder.
DOG MEATLOAF INGREDIENTS
Just 5 ingredients make these mini doggie meatloaves.
- Ground chicken - fresh or frozen (defrosted of course)
- Spinach - we used fresh spinach but defrosted frozen spinach can be used. Or swap it with cooked kale.
- Nutritional Yeast - We add this to our dog food for the nutritional benefits. It's high in fibre, a great source of amino acids and antioxidants.
- Ground Flaxseed - Also known as flaxseed meal, this is used in place of breadcrumbs or a flour to bind the meat mixture for the meatloaf.
Remember to go slowly when introducing new foods. And we recommend checking with your veterinarian first if your dog has any digestive issues or other health concerns.
HOW TO MAKE MINI CHICKEN DOG MEATLOAVES
This dog meatloaf recipe is very easy. Mix all the ingredients in a bowl, then spoon into a mini muffin tin. We use a silicon muffin tin as the mini treats are easier to pop out once baked.
If you want to make meatballs with this recipe, line a baking tray with parchment paper and form the chicken mixture into walnut sized balls. Place the balls on the tray and bake for 25 minutes at 350F.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
The ground chicken could be replaced with ground turkey or beef.
Keep the chicken treats in a sealed container in the refrigerator. They will last up to 4 days.
Any leftovers can be frozen. Freeze them on the day of baking, once they are completely cooled. Pop them in an airtight container or ziplock bag and they should last up to 2 months in the freezer. Defrost them thoroughly before giving them to your dog.
MORE DOG MEATLOAF RECIPES
Mini Chicken Spinach Meatloaf for Dogs
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 cup cooked spinach
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup ground flaxseed/flaxseed meal
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the ground chicken, cooked spinach, nutritional yeast, flaxseed meal and the egg.
- Mix the ingredients thoroughly.
- Place a mini muffin silicone tray on a baking sheet.
- Spoon the chicken mixture into the mini muffin tray.
- Bake for 25 minutes until the mini meatloaves are golden and firm.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator.