This healthy dinner with ground lamb for dogs is full of flavor, texture and nutrition. An easy homemade dog food recipe that your dogs will love. Mine went crazy for this recipe.
A colorful dog food recipe that is grain free and low carb. Full of Zinc and selenium too. Cooked lamb is combined with broccoli, hemp hearts, chia seeds, blueberries and Greek yogurt.
If your dog has allergies or a sensitive stomach, this may be a good recipe for them. Always check with your vet though as every dog has individual needs.
I like to give my dogs a variety of good with different tastes and textures and this one was great for them. This homemade dog food recipe looks good enough for humans to eat and enjoy.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
IS LAMB GOOD FOR DOGS?
Not only is lamb a great source of protein for dogs, it can be great for dogs with allergies as many dogs are not allergic to dogs.
Lamb is rich in iron and high in protein and amino acids and vitamin B12.
If you have ever cooked lamb and stored it in the fridge, you will see the layer of congealed fat at the top. This should not be consumed by dogs and should be removed.
HOMEMADE DOG FOOD INGREDIENTS
This dog food recipe is a healthy bowl of deliciousness.
- Ground lamb - fresh or frozen
- Broccoli - Fresh or defrosted broccoli
- Greek Yogurt - a great yogurt for dogs and better than natural yogurt for them.
- Eggs - we hard boiled these and chopped them. A great source of protein.
- Blueberries - a powerhouse of nutrition for dogs. Try to use fresh.
- Hemp seeds - a great source of omega-3, essential fatty acids and complete protein. It's not just for
- Chia seeds - are great for dogs with diabetes, a good source of fiber and omega-3 fatty acids.
Remember to go slowly when introducing new foods. And we recommend checking with your veterinarian first if your dog has any digestive issues or other health concerns.
HOW TO MAKE HEALTHY LAMB DOG FOOD RECIPE
This is an easy recipe as the only cooking is the lamb. Cooked in coconut oil we wash it afterward to remove any fat. Lamb can be a fatty meat but the fat content needs to be removed to prevent pancreatitis for dogs.
Cook ground lamb in coconut oil
Cooked lamb is washed to remove excess fat
Add all ingredients in a bowl and mix
Serve to happy dogs!
For an added benefit of suitable bones, serve this ground lamb recipe with a raw chicken neck.
LAMB DOG FOOD STORAGE
Store this lamb dog food in the refrigerator in a sealed container. It should last 3-4 days.
It can be frozen too. Place the food into zip locked bags or sealed containers and it will keep in the freezer for up to 3 months. Defrost thoroughly in the fridge before serving. You can gently reheat it on the stove before serving too.
MORE LAMB DOG FOOD RECIPES
Easy Healthy Ground Lamb for Dogs
- 2 lbs ground lamb
- 5 oz broccoli cooked and chopped
- 2 oz hemp seeds
- 2.5 oz blueberries
- 2 large hard boiled eggs chopped
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 2.5 oz Greek yogurt plain
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- Heat the coconut oil in a large pan or skillet on a medium heat.
- Add the ground lamb and cook until brown, stirring occasionally to ensure even cooking of the meat.
- When the lamb is cooked, place it in a sieve and wash it under the tap to remove any excess fat.
- Peel the hardboiled eggs and finely chop.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the cooked lamb to the other ingredients. Stir to combine thoroughly.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator.