Our first homemade pork dog food recipe is grain free and low carb. Ground pork is cooked with pumpkin, celery and zucchini with healthy additions for a meal my dogs loved.
To be honest, pork is not something I have previously cooked for my dogs but thought I would try them with it. They enjoyed it and were hanging around the kitchen when it was cooking as it was a new smell for their curious noses.
Homemade dog food made with good quality ingredients can be hugely nutritious for your dog and as ever with our recipes, tweak them to your own dog's needs.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
IS PORK SAFE FOR DOGS?
Pork can be safe for dogs to eat when prepared properly and fed in moderation. However, there are some important considerations to keep in mind when feeding pork to dogs.
- Raw pork should be avoided as it can contain harmful bacteria and parasites that can cause digestive problems and other health issues in dogs. Cooking pork thoroughly can help to kill any harmful bacteria and make it safer for dogs to eat.
- Pork bones should not be given to dogs as they can splinter and pose a choking hazard, as well as cause damage to the digestive system if swallowed.
- Pork products such as bacon and ham should be avoided due to their high salt, fat, and calorie content, which can lead to obesity, pancreatitis, and other health issues in dogs if consumed in excess.
In addition to the ground pork we used other cuts of meat with healthy vegetables.
- Ground pork - use either fresh or defrosted ground pork
- Pork liver - this can be substituted with beef liver
- Chicken Giblets - a good source of iron, protein and minerals
- Pumpkin - great for fiber
- Zucchini - low in carbs and a source of antioxidants. We grate ours for easy digestion.
- Celery - this must be washed thoroughly. This is a great source of fiber, vitamins A, C, and K, folate, potassium, and manganese
- Eggs - with their shells as the source of calcium.
- Turmeric - great for inflammation. We add this in most of our food
- Ginger - grated and helps digestion and soothes the stomach.
- Chia Seeds - a good source of omega 3 fatty acids.
- Hemp hearts - a great source of amino acids and fiber
HOW TO MAKE PORK DOG FOOD RECIPE
The ground pork is cooked first, then the other meats and vegetables added.
Cook ground pork
Add the liver and giblets
Add the eggs, vegetables and seasonings
Cook and cool before serving
Once cooled, the homemade dog food should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
This can be frozen and should last up to 3 months in the freezer. Spoon into airtight containers or zip lock bags.
Chop the vegetables into small pieces for ease of digestion and crush the egg shells.
The ground pork can be substituted with ground chicken, ground turkey or ground beef.
Other veggies can be used such as spinach, sweet potatoes, carrots or broccoli.
For a smoother dinner, run the ingredients in a food processor.
MORE HOMEMADE DOG FOOD RECIPES
Homemade Pork Dog Food
- 2 lbs ground pork
- 4 oz pork liver or beef liver
- 2 oz chicken giblets
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon hemp hearts
- ½ cup pumpkin cut into small chunks
- ½ cup celery finely chopped
- ½ cup zucchini grated
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Heat the coconut oil in a large pan on a medium heat.
- Add the ground pork and cook for 8-10 minutes until cooked through.
- Add the liver and chicken giblets and cook for a further 4 minutes until cooked.
- Add the celery, pumpkin , zucchini, hemp hearts, chia seeds, turmeric, ginger, and eggs. Stir well and cover. Simmer for 7-10 minutes until the vegetables are cooked.
- Allow to cool before serving.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator.