Your dog will love this delicious and nutritious grain-free homemade turkey dog food with vegetables meal. It's a great way to ensure your furry companion gets the best ingredients for a happy and healthy life.
We have kept the protein element of this homemade dog food to just turkey. This dish would be good for any dogs with allergies to beef or lamb.
Homemade ground turkey dog food is a great combination of high-quality protein and an array of colorful, nutrient-rich vegetables creating a meal that's as pleasing to the eye as it is to the palate, ensuring that your canine companion stays healthy and happy.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Ground Turkey for Dogs
Turkey is a lean meat that is a good source of high-quality protein for dogs. It contains essential amino acids that can help with muscle development and overall health.
Do not add any seasonings, spices, or ingredients that are harmful to dogs, such as onions, garlic, or excessive salt. Plain, cooked ground turkey is the safest option.
Some dogs may have food allergies or sensitivities to certain proteins, including turkey. Monitor your dog for any adverse reactions, such as skin issues, gastrointestinal problems, or changes in behavior, when introducing new foods.
Remember to go slowly when introducing new foods. And we recommend checking with your veterinarian first if your dog has any digestive issues or other health concerns.
Just a few simple ingredients make this delicious meal for your dog.
- Ground turkey - This lean protein source is the star of the show. It's packed with high-quality protein and essential amino acids, promoting muscle health and overall vitality.
- Turkey liver - if you don't have turkey liver, chicken, beef or pork liver can be used.
- Carrot - Carrots offer a burst of beta-carotene, a powerful antioxidant, as well as fiber, which aids digestion.
- Cranberries -are rich in antioxidants, particularly vitamin C and various phytonutrients.
- Turmeric - contains an active compound called curcumin, which has natural anti-inflammatory properties. This can be particularly useful for dogs with conditions like arthritis or joint pain.
- Broccoli - a good source of vitamins, including vitamin C and vitamin K, as well as minerals like potassium and calcium.
- Apple - a good source of dietary fiber, which can aid in digestion and help regulate bowel movements. Seeds must be removed!
- Coconut oil - A small amount of coconut oil adds healthy fats that can benefit your dog's coat and skin.
- Egg - an additional source of protein.
How to make homemade turkey dog food.
We cook this ground turkey dog food recipe in one pan for an easy meal.
Cook turkey and liver in a pan.
Add chopped veggies and berries.
Cook, cool and serve.
Before storing, allow the homemade dog food to cool to room temperature. Hot food can create condensation inside the storage container, potentially leading to spoilage.
For short-term storage (up to 3-4 days), keep the portions of homemade dog food in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Use a dedicated container for your dog's food, separate from your own food.
Use airtight, freezer-safe containers or resealable freezer bags. Be sure to remove as much air as possible to prevent freezer burn. Label each container or bag with the date of preparation to keep track of freshness.
Freeze individual portions so you can defrost only what you need each time.
When you're ready to use frozen homemade dog food, thaw it in the refrigerator. Avoid leaving it out at room temperature for extended periods, as this can lead to bacterial growth.
Homemade Turkey Dog Food with Veggies
- 32 oz ground turkey (2lbs)
- 2 oz turkey liver chopped
- 1 medium carrot peeled and chopped
- 6 oz broccoli florets
- 1 medium apple deseeded, chopped
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 large egg
- 2 oz cranberries
- Heat the coconut oil in a large pan on a medium heat.
- Add the ground turkey and turkey liver and cook the turkey until it's no longer pink, breaking it into small pieces as it cooks.
- Add the chopped vegetables, apple, cranberries and turmeric and cook for a further 10-15 minutes they are cooked.
- Add the egg and cook for a further 2 minutes and stir well to ensure everything is evenly distributed.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and let it cool completely before serving to your dog.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator.